Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Opinions are like assholes...

............everyone has one!

Is it some unwritten law that when a mother sees a pregnant woman she must give her advice or share her stories of pregnancy??? I am so tired of being bombarded by these women who think they have all the secrets to pregnancy, childbirth, and child rearing. On top of that the information that they usually give me is either silly, or some old wives tale. What is even more frustrating is advice that contradicts what my doctor has told me! She has a PHD, and has delivered countless babies, I think she knows best.

Aren't a woman's breasts her own private business? Not once you get pregnant! Everyone, and I mean everyone, asks if you are going to breast feed. Excuse me, do you even know my last name? This is not something that I want to discuss with strangers, nor do I think it's any of their business! But they think it is. And to be honest, the idea of it kinda weirds me out! I am fully aware of the nutritional value that breast milk has. And I think I would rather pump and bottle feed my child rather than actually breast feeding. To this I have been told that "obviously my motherly instinct hasn't kicked in," and that I "won't bond with my child." Talk about a slap in the face! So what type of rude responses do these so-called experts give to a mother who simply cannot breastfeed? I think I'm just going to start lying to save myself from hearing these speeches.

What's even better is the list of things people did anyway when they were pregnant. Such as drink caffeine. Mt Dew no less! Or Starbucks every day! And their babies "turned out just fine" (with slight ADHD). My favorite is the woman that told me that drinking a beer wouldn't hurt anything, but that I shouldn't vacuum. So it's fine to give your unborn child fetal alcohol syndrome? I guess then they won't notice the nasty carpet that hasn't been cleaned in 8 months?! I do realize that a little caffeine is permitted and a glass of wine won't hurt. But why take those chances? Maybe I'm just a little more cautious because of losing the last baby. But that is my prerogative.

Now who could forget about getting drugs for the pain while in labor? All I have to say is that unless you are pushing this baby out of your vagina, your unsolicited advice isn't needed, or wanted. Furthermore, your advice isn't needed or wanted for anything concerning my body or my baby. No two pregnancies are alike, so please don't tell me that I am wrong for feeling the way I do about something. If I have a pain that concerns me and I go to the ER, well I guess that's my business. If you aren't paying my medical bills then don't friggin worry about it! I lost a baby and never had the slightest symptom that anything was wrong for three weeks, so excuse me if I am a little nervous about this pregnancy. After all, doesn't everyone just want a healthy, happy baby? As long as that is the end result, does it really matter how we got there in the first place?

4 comments:

  1. Vent, much??

    You just get google analytics to see how people get there. its free, just go to your google homepage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! screw them! I've not had any kiddos so I haven't been there. But I think I agree with you on all accounts. I wasn't breast fed I still bonded with my mother and turned out fine!! And it weirds me out too... Also, I will definitely be opting to have my epidural! No matter what people tell me. Honestly I'd almost volunteer for a C-section- but I won't punk out! I'll push till they tell me they gotta slice n dice! I guess you're nicer than me because I would have to say something snotty to these people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy CRAP.
    You should check out Married to the Military's blog-- she just posted something similar to this. Cheaper than Therapy also did a whole post over her frustrations with Breastfeeding.

    The way I see it, is it either works for you or it doesn't. And that's your business and no one else's!
    I'm sorry people have been digging on you so much. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I remember those people and I agree with you. My body and my baby are none of your business! I was one of those that had a really hard time breastfeeding and me and Lil' Mootz have bonded just fine! He knows I'm his mommy and appreciates me just as much when I give him his bottle.

    I did have a DR tell me though that if you get a yeast infection while you're preggos you can drink 8oz of beer for 7 days to get rid of it. Luckily, I didn't have that problem.

    ReplyDelete